Monday, January 7, 2008

A close encounter with an angel

When I questioned the mightiness of the Lord, he sure did prove himself to me. I kept wondering, how big is our God anyway? Everyone talks about how big and great He is, but I just wasn't convinced of how BIG he was. Especially with the events surrounding my family and the evilness that had just occurred within my family.

One would think that after having my first prayer to Him answered so quickly, that would have smacked me in the face a little. I still was not sure. I hung close to my bible though. I even slept with it during that first week of the event surrounding the death of my mom. It seems weird to say that now, that I actually slept with my bible like it was a teddy bear, but honestly, nothing else could comfort me the way His words pressed to my heart could.

I woke up the next morning with much to do on my list. Go to the church to discuss arrangements about mom's memorial, go to the funeral home to sign paperwork, and finally, go see dad to make it all real...plus I had some questions for him. I was taking care of my tasks without breaking down. Looking back, I did quite well considering the circumstance, but really I was in the hands of angels the entire time. God had a way of providing for me the right person at the right time to help me with whatever I was dealing with. When I prayed for Him to take care of my family.....He took very good care of my family. We had people delivering breakfast, lunch and dinner, around the clock...we had transportation at all times and seemed to never be alone, but rather, always in the presence of a Christian who could pour into our lives.

Once I finished with the funeral home, I was utterly exhausted and nearly collapsed. I had to take some time to gather myself, when I noticed that we had a strange guest in the house. It was a police officer from another town whom I had never met. I was confused but sat down to see what I could help him with. He was just there to see if I was ok. This was strange!!! How did I know this person? He explained that he had just visited my father and shared the Bible with him. He had also spoken with my brother earlier and shared the Bible with him as well. HUH.....interesting! This wasn't just any police officer...this was a chaplain. A chaplain from another town that just so happened to be here on a very difficult day.

He asked if he could help me in any way and I thought of the next item on my agenda....going to see dad. Yes, he could help me....he could accompany me to see my father. On the way there, he explained that he knew how I was feeling. I almost got mad, but said..."no disrespect, but I am almost sure that you don't." He mentioned that he did because he had lost his mother the same way I lost mine.

Woah....this was profound. I had chills running up my spine. God...you are that great and BIG that you would send me an angel at the very moment I needed one to guide me through a most difficult task. Not only that, but an angel who has been through exactly what I have just gone through.

At that moment, I was a sold out Christian. Never to question the Lord again, or His strength, greatness or possibility. He is the Almighty, the Maker of heaven and earth! Who am I to ever question him again?

And thus, my born again, sold out, Christian life begins!

No comments: